So what was she saying that provoked her husband to kill her?
According to the man his wife had been telling him that she was leaving him.
His apparently ‘legally legitimate’ response to this news was to run into another room, grab a box cutter (AKA Stanley Knife), return to his wife, stab her, slice her throat open and willfully leave her to bleed to death while standing above her and watching her expire.
I don’t know about anybody else, but as far as I’m concerned, this is an act of murder.
To have this murder ruled as a reasonable
attack response to a verbal provocation begs the question:
Since when does a wife attempting to have a discussion about ending a marriage become grounds for murder?
So how does this happen?
Under the law in Australia there are acts understood as arising out of provocation.
Quite literally the idea is that one person can be provoked , verbally, into losing control of themselves and attacking another.
In the USA I think the equivalent term may be the claim of temporary insanity.
In this case however, there are clear indications of fore thought. The man had to leave the room in which the ‘offending discussion’ took place to retrieve the box cutter he later used to kill his wife.
Given this, how can his murderous actions not be seen as providing clear evidence of fore thought, planning and a willfully controlled act of murder on his part?
As far as I’m concerned this should never have been a case in which the law of provocation was applied.
It should never be seen that killing another person because you do not like, or are offended or hurt by what they are saying, provides an excuse for murder.
Especially if that other person is smaller, weighs less, is defenseless and is a woman.
To me, the ruling in this case sends out a very dangerous message to all would be domestic abusers.
What do you think?
- Australian law is bad: victim’s sister (news.smh.com.au)
- Man gets 6 years for cutting wife’s throat (news.theage.com.au)
- Wife killer sentence prompts call for law change (abc.net.au)
- Gaston man sought after brutal attack on wife (thestate.com)
- Death by Slut Shaming: The American Honor Killing (angrynerdgirl.net)
- Sharia in Action: Pregnant woman has throat slit, stomach cut open in horrific honor killing (atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com)
- Prosecutors Appeal To High Court To Reinstate Conviction In Domestic Violence Slaying (sfappeal.com)